GRAYSON – A1123529
Gone - 8-28-2017 Manhattan
GONE 8/28/17 ***MUST PULL BY 6PM TODAY*** GRAYSON was hit by a car and needs your help @ MACC
A1123529 Grayson 3y Gray M DSH 7lbs.
Intake: Stray 8/28/17
DVM Intake Exam
Estimated age: Adult male cat, possibly 2-5 years old
Microchip noted on Intake? Scanned neg on intake
History : Seen at the same street corner since last night
Subjective: Dull, hissing, allows handling when towel-restrained
Evidence of Trauma seen – Enophthalmia, discharge from mouth, maggots from mouth
Dull, BCS 4/9, estimated 8% dehydrated, rectal temp 104.5.
EENT: Right eye: enophthalmia, eyelids crusted shut. Left eye mild mucoid discharge. Left nare and left side of mouth (including the mandible and maxilla) are coated in many small maggots (1 mm long), and purulent discharge. Did not do careful palpation of this region due to obvious pt discomfort. Left side of the face – appears normal.
H/L: NSR, NMA Increased resp sounds.
ABD: Non painful, no masses palpated
U/G: Male intact
MSI: No other apparent injuries besides facial trauma. Large amount of flea dirt. Good fur coat. No masses noted.
Rectal: Normal externally
1. Severe wound on right side of face – very small maggots so likely 3-5 days old. R/O fractured jaw vs. only soft tissue involvement.
2. Enophthalmia OD – R/O secondary to wound, possible corneal perforation vs. other
3. Flea dirt
Prognosis: Fair to guarded – depends on pt’s response to treatment today and results of rads. Pt may need orthopedic surgery to stabilize jaw, or pt may do okay with wound treatment
1. Place IVC, start IV LRS at 10 ml/hr
2. Start ampicillin 250 mg/ml 0.4 ml IV q8 x4 days – will likely decrease frequency and change route within a few days
3. Start Baytril 22.7 mg/ml 0.7 ml IV **give slowly** q24 – okay to switch to IM if IVC comes out
4. Give Hydromorphone 0.16 ml IV
5. This evening, start Simbadol 0.45 ml SQ SID x10 days
6. Gently clean face and flush out maggots
7. Recommend sedated exam and skull rads to determine the level of involvement of skull/soft tissues
SURGERY: Temporary waiver due to WOUND
For more information on adopting from the NYC AC&C, or to find a rescue to assist, please read the following: http://urgentpodr.org/adoption-info-and-list-of-rescues. If you are local to the Tri-State, New England, and the general Northeast United States area, and you are SERIOUS about adopting or fostering one of the animals at NYC ACC, please read our MUST READ section for instructions, or email [email protected] Our experienced volunteers will do their best to guide you through the process. * We highly discourage everyone from trusting strangers that send them Facebook messages, offering help, for it has ended in truly tragic events.* For more info on behavior codes and ratings, please click here: http://information.urgentpodr.org/acc-placement-status-descriptions. For answers to Frequently Asked Questions, please see: http://information.urgentpodr.org/category/frequently-asked-questions/. You can call (212) 788-4000 for automated instructions.
View all entries in: Gone Cats 2017-08